HMPC Photo Lecture synopsis

12:22 PM

I received some inquiries regarding the Photo Lecture I did last week from some folks that couldn't make it. There was quite a turnout, and I am honored people showed their interest and support. I don't want anyone to feel left out, so here is a recap of what I talked about and a link to the images that I shared with the group --

The focus of my lecture was to charge people to think about what they love about photography and what inspires them. For me, it's about being in the moment. Nothing still the world around me more than looking at it through the lens. Anticipating moments, capturing the befores and after.. the act of concentrated observation creates a quiet place for me as I wait for that decisive moment. 
LIGHT for me is a big inspiration as well, an obsession really, and commonly drives me into making beautiful pictures. 
George Eastman, founder of Kodak once said: "Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, Know light. 
Know it for all you are worth and you will understand the key to photography."
I talked a little bit about my early photo history- how I built my own darkroom when I was young, worked as a photo editor, then editorial photographer for the Washington City Paper in DC. I came to San Francisco 10 years ago to study photo at a graduate level, earning my MFA in 2009.
As a lifestyle, fashion and wedding photographer, it wasn't until I became to realize and identify my personal style -which is Light, Intimate and Believable- that I began to feel successful as a photographer. 
I spoke a bit about childhood memories, as an identical twin growing up in Key West barefoot popping jellyfish on the beach, building treehouses, and always having adventures and escapes with my twin sis and my brothers.. how I've always had an overactive imagination and been a vivid dreamer. Why even bring these things up?
What does this have to do with photography?
EVERYTHING. My experiences, my memories, and mostly my dreams have all the information that make up my personal style, my drive to create and my photographic voice. I encouraged every person in the room to observe and pay attention to what inspires them; seize their unique point of view, and let that drive them to create. 
Then I shared a bit of my work in a slideshow format and we had some brief Q&A.





































The take-away is that your unique personal style- whether you be an artistic, photographer, computer programmer, whatever - Your unique point of view is what you have to offer the world. If you are tapped into this and creating from the heart, others recognize and are drawn to it.. you will succeed at whatever you put your heart into. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments